Saturday, February 3, 2018

Personal vs Business Social Media Platforms


Week 2: I believe social media platforms like Twitter and Snapchat are highly geared toward personal use. In many twitter bio’s you see things like, Jokes, #hashtags, and sentimental quotes. Allowing you to show your character, most people don’t put things about them like age, education, or qualities. Most people don’t care what they post whether it be scandalous or illegal, its their online presence. Snap chat was a social media which started by a sexting app idea but ended up going viral and becoming a "normal social media" but is still what I would call one of the most informal SM's.
               
              I would consider social media platforms like Instagram and LinkedIn more for business.  Linked is an application in which you essentially upload your resume for people and businesses to see. They can view your references and everything right there on the site. This allows easy access to new business opportunities completely online.
               
               Personally, I think Instagram works for both business and personal use.  Instagram has slowly become both because now many times businesses reference their applicants Instagram to see if they approve their online persona as suitable for the position applied. Yet this person doesn’t not always think of employers, they also just upload pictures of new things in their life to show their friends and family.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Justin,
    Instagram definitely has a business platform to it because I've seen a lot of independent businesses gain networking through it. I totally forgot about LinkedIn. Personally I've never created one because I was too young at its rise. My parents use it, but not as often as they used to. On the other hand, snapchat and Twitter are defiantly not as great for professional use. Although businesses do have snap chats and twitter accounts. I would say that Twitter would be a bit more useful because it's easier to market and gain followings through it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never tried Snapchat, heard about it a lot though. I agree that people don't really care what they post these days and how it effects individual or community. I was reading other social media platforms such as Flicker, Foursquare, Blogospher did you get a chance to look into these?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great read. I agree that Snapchat is one of the most informal social media platforms, this is probably why it is also the most popular amongst the youngest of users. I think it's a little presumptuous to say "most people don't care what they post whether it be scandalous or illegal." The internet definitely gives people a medium to express themselves in ways they might not do in real life, however, there are many users who are careful about what they post. Personally, I wish I could care less about what I post because I worry about a coworker or an employer seeing something that rubs him the wrong way. I think my content would be better if I didn't worry about those things or add any filter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had no idea that Snapchat started because of a sexting app idea. It doesn't seem to be that geared towards professional use. I learned about LinkedIn from one of my CSIT professors. I have never used it but it does sound like it could work wonders for people trying to put themselves out into the working world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree social media platforms have so many different aspects between business and personal use it can be overwhelming at times. Personally I thought Twitter and Instagram are geared towards a persona platform for people to use. I find Facebook more of a family and reconnection for people .

    ReplyDelete